IBM LTO 7 Tapes - LTO Ultrium 7 Tape Data Cartridge
Capacity - 6TB up to 15TB Compressed
High capacity IBM LTO7 tape media designed for high reliability
IBM LTO 7 Ultrium Tape with a Barcode Label customized to your library or autoloader and the alpha-numeric sequence you specify.
Features and Benefits
- 1 - IBM LTO Ultrium 7 tape (38L7302) with 6TB native storage capacity and up to 15TB with 2.5:1 compression
- 1 - LTO 7 Barcode Label (BCODE-LTO). Customized to your library or autoloader and your alpha-numeric sequence
- Supports IBM Spectrum Archive
- Compatible with Linear Tape File System (LTFS)
- 30 Year Archival Life
- Designed to help improve read/write reliability by storing IBM’s statistical media read/write analysis on every use of the cartridge when using IBM LTO tape drives
- Designed to adhere to widely supported Linear Tape-Open (LTO) Ultrium 7 design specifications
- Higher capacity per volume requires less library cartridge capacity and helps reduce backup windows by requiring less volume mounts
- Designed to help improve read/write reliability by storing IBM’s statistical media read/write analysis on every use of the cartridge when used with IBM LTO tape drives
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
LTO-7 Tape Media Formatted for use in LTO-8 Tape Drives
What is LTO-7 (M8)?
- LTO-T M-8 Tape Media is a new LTO technology feature with the name of “LTO-8 Type M Formatted LTO-7 Media”. For simplicity, this feature is also known as “M8”.
- LTO-8 drives include a new format feature enabling customers to increase the capacity of new, unused LTO Ultrium 7 cartridges by up to 50 percent to store up to 9 TB (uncompressed) or 22.5 TB (2.5:1 compressed) of data.
Can the customer use any LTO-7 cartridge to be LTO-7 (M8), or do they have to buy a specific one?
- Customers can use any LTO-7 cartridge so long as it is new and unused. The formatted LTO-7 (M8) cartridges cannot be read by LTO-7 tape drives, so it’s important that customers format, label and handle the LTO-7 (M8) tapes accordingly.
How will LTO 8 libraries, autoloaders and customers know which tapes are standard LTO-7 and which are LTO-7 (M8)?
- The tapes will need to be bar coded correctly. Standard LTO tape barcodes use a L# media ID designator at the end of the label to indicate the LTO generation. For example, “L7” indicates a standard LTO-7 tape cartridge and “L8” a standard LTO-8 cartridge. The LTO-7 (M8) cartridges use bar code labels that have an “M8” media ID.
- The media ID is the two right most characters printed on a bar code label. The media ID indicates the media type to the drive.
Is this M8 type compability available on other generations of LTO tape drives?
- No, this new feature is only available with LTO-8 Tape drives.
Will this M8 type capability be available with LTO-9 and future generations?
- That has not yet been determined by the LTO consortium
What is the benefit of the LTO-7 (M8) tape media?
- Customers with new, unused LTO-7 tapes cab get 50% more capacity on each tape with an LTO-8 tape drive
- The $/TB cost may be better with LTO-7 (M8) compared to LTO-8.
All prior LTO generations have supported 2-generation back read support, why won't LTO-8 drives?
- After seven generations, and 17 years of shipments, LTO needed a technology transition to support the higher storage densities and performatnce demanded by today's data storage needs. This transition includes both the media technology and the read/write tape head technology of the drives. The cost to support 2-generation read capability, and the new LTO-9 capacity and performance made this support infeasible.
|Barcode Label||LTO 7 Barcode Label, created with the alpha-numeric sequence you specify and to the specifications of your Autoloader or Library|
|Format||LTO Ultrium 7 Tape|
|IBM Part No.||38L7302 L|
|Compressed||Up to 15TB (assuming 2.5:1 Compression)|
|Data Rate||300 MB/s (native), 750 MB/s (with 2.5:1 compression) with Generation 7 drive|
|Tape Length||960 meters|
|Archival Life||30 Years|
|Warranty||Limited Lifetime Warranty by IBM|
Custom Barcode Label
LTO Ultrium 7 Tape
Great product. We use for company wide server backup. It's great that TapeandMedia.com creates custom LTO barcode labels with the sequence we need and applies the labels to the LTO 7 tapes. Makes my life easy.